Constantly scan the road for turning vehicles, car doors opening, road hazards, and other people.
Rules of the Road
Bikes are legally vehicles, and cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers. All state and local laws pertaining to bicycles will be enforced on campus, in addition to Georgia Tech policy.
Obey all traffic signs and signals
Stop at all stop signs and red lights
Ride on the road in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic; do not ride on the sidewalk
Bikes may utilize the vehicular traffic lane, when appropriate
Yield to pedestrians; on a shared path, slow down, announce your presence, pass on the left, and allow at least three feet of clearance
All bikes must have front and rear lights visible from 300 feet in low light
On campus, bikes may only be locked to bike racks
Campus bike racks are for short-term parking; bikes left for extended periods will be tagged and removed per campus policy
For more information regarding the rights and responsibilities of cyclists in Georgia, please consult the Bicyclist Pocket Guide from Georgia Bikes.
Protect Your Brain
“The principles of physics and a little common sense tell us that helmets must provide some protection, even if the degree of that protection can be disputed. If you personally had the choice of hitting your head on the pavement with or without the protection of a helmet, which would you choose? It seems to me to be a no-brainer.” -Harriet Hall, M.D. “The Skep Doc"
How to Properly Adjust a Helmet
1. Place the helmet on your head so that it is level and about 1" above your eyebrows.
2. Adjust the pads or rear dial to achieve a secure fit.
3. Slide the straps on both sides to form a "Y" just under and in front of your ear.
4. Fasten and adjust the chin strap so that there is no more than a finger space under the strap.
5. Test the fit. Push the helmet in all directions; there should be no more than 1" of movement in any direction.
Helmet Resources on Campus
Helmetsare available for $12 from Parking and Transportation, located at 828 W. Peachtree Street, Monday-Friday from 7:30am-5pm.